Monday, April 11, 2011

Try It Challenge 2: Quinoa and Podcasts


Try It Challenge: Week 2
This week's challenge from Clare is to try Quinoa and to listen to a Christian podcast

Now since I took culinary classes in college and teach culinary now, I know that it's a grain.
The 2nd edition of On Cooking hardly mentions it at all except as a recipe under the "other starch recipes" category with a side note that it is an ancient grain that is delicate and almost bland.
The 3rd edition (2003), however, recognizes the upcoming popularity of Quinoa.
It lists it as a grain, describing that it was used by the Incans and that it is technically not a cereal grain, but rather a seed, but just like a tomato is treated as a vegetable, Quinoa is treated as a grain. I'm thinking it must technically be a legume (a plant that aborbs nitrogen out of the air, thus making it possible to have all 9 essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) in it. Nontheless the seeds are flattened and used as a grain, and as Clare said very nutritious.

On Cooking describes them as having a "natural, bitter-tasting coating which protects (it) from birds and insects." Consequently, it should be rinsed well with cold water in a strainer prior to use. It is cooked like rice (2 parts water, 1 part Quinoa). They also suggest toasting them in a hot dry pan for 5 minutes to bring out the nutty flavor (similarly to how peanuts, another legume cousin, is tasty toasted).
So now that I've had a Quinoa lesson, I need to try some! I've actually never had it! But I'm excited to try it. These are recipes I found which sound good:
Quinoa Chocolate Treats
Herbed Eggplant Medley
Whole Wheat Quinoa (flour) Pancakes (pictured above)

The pancakes are intriguing using the flour as I'm not sure I've heard of any other legumes that are made into flour? Complete protein pancakes? breakfast of champions? I think so!

Spiritual Challenge:
Try a podcast. Clare mentioned she likes to excercise to them. We also do that, but we like to have them on the Ipod to listen to in the car on trips and on errands (we're about 35 minutes from decent grocery stores). The ones I like are:

Matt Chandler @ TheVillageChurch
This is an amazing pastor out of Dallas, Texas- these are my favorite sermons to listen to
Mosaic Church

There are many other great podcasts on Itunes and audiobooks are another really great resource.
Holly


Don't forget to check out Clare's blog where the challenge started!!




Are you joining the challenge? Don't forget to link up below!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Holly! First off, Matt Chandler!! YES! I just recently *found* him and he is excellent!! Thanks for reminding me.

    Can't wait to see what you other recipes you make this week!! Those you have listed above sound awesome!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrrr..it posted as blogger, but in case you didn't know, it was Clare @peak313!

    ReplyDelete